APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN FOR THE INAUGURAL AIF AND STELLA ADLER ACADEMY ACTING STUDY SCHOLARSHIPS
(JANUARY SEMESTER, 2015)
Stella Adler Academy of Acting & Theatre - Los Angeles is a non-profit arts organization dedicated to uplifting and enriching our collective humanity through the dramatic arts. Driven by the belief that growth as an actor and growth as a person are the same, the Academy & Theatre provides the tools, training, and discipline to nurture and support actors who are committed not only to the art form, but to a life of social engagement.
The Academy is made up of a family of artists and a community of visionaries, they believe in providing arts education and live performance opportunities to people of all ages who might not otherwise have the opportunity to experience live theatre.
Further your career and education in Los Angeles at the prestigious academy. Apply now!
Adler Technique I: Film, television and theatre are all collaborative efforts, and actors are the "doers" in each of these forms. In this very practical, yet creatively inspiring class, all concepts are made "doable" through the use of the actor's imagination. Some of the concepts that will be covered and applied are:
- Understanding of self through the art form of acting
- The actor's relationship to words and feelings
- Physical and mental relaxation within the circumstances
- Creative imagination as a major acting tool
- Application of the three levels of justification
- Non-verbal expression through character behavior
- Relationship with partners
- Mental actions and their four specific types
Taught by Laura Leyva:
Laura Leyva is a proud member of both AEA and SAG-AFTRA, with a performing career that spans over 50 years. Her credits include film, television, Broadway, Off-Broadway, regional theatre, commercials, voice-over and print work. Laura studied with Stella Adler and Ron Burras in New York from 1977-1979. In 1979, she became the private student and protege of Ron Burras. They began the work of deepening the training of the actor for the 21st Century through the use of Stella Adler's Technique, work that Laura continues to the present.
Laura began her teaching career in 1981 and is a long-time member of The Stella Adler Academy of Acting Faculty.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Adler Technique I is designed for actors with experience in acting and acting study
- The Course is valued at $950
- Semester runs January 5, 2015 - February 27, 2015
- 8 Week course, three 3-hour classes per week (72 total hours of class time)
- Class Times: Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays 5:30PM - 8:30PM
- Advanced students may request to enroll in Adler Technique II or III (subject to school approval). Please state your case in your application
- Applications close December 30, 2014 at 5:00PM PST
- Must be a current AiF member to apply. Not a member? Join here
- Chance plays no part in determining winners of the scholarships. Scholarship will be awarded based on the strength of the applications.
- Full Terms and Conditions are below
Stella Adler Academy Los Angeles is also offering three AiF members partial Scholarships to study Adler Technique I for only $200 - that's a saving of $750!
"Tech I is not a beginning acting class, but a introduction to the very freeing and applicable Stella Adler Technique. Many talented Australian actors come all the way to LA each year specifically to study technique at The Adler."
- John Jack Rogers, Executive Director
"There is a real sense of community at Stella Adler. You get inspired by those around you, and hopefully you also inspire others as you learn alongside each other. It can be hard for art and commerce to mix, but at Stella, they believe in giving Scholarships to great actors, that means their students are grateful to be there, and they show it by working incredibly hard. It's the perfect place to study."
- Sam Clark, Actor
"I originally came to LA to do only one term at Stella Adler. Within 2 weeks I had decided to stay. I came here by myself knowing no one, and within a day I felt like I was part of a great, big international family. It doesn't matter if you're a new student or a graduate, everyone has a genuine interest and love for their fellow students. The teachers are incredible- I have attended a few different acting schools, and no other place are the teachers as passionate about their craft as they are here. I feel truly supported and it's such a safe environment."
- Anna Piggott, Actor
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The following terms and conditions are for the applicants of a merit Scholarship award, and partial merit Scholarship award, to study Adler Technique at Stella Adler Academy of Acting and Theatre Los Angeles offered by Australians in Film (henceforth, AiF) and Stella Adler Academy of Acting and Theatre Los Angeles (henceforth, Stella Adler LA). By applying for a merit Scholarship award (including those applying for a partial merit Scholarship award), all applicants, and untimately the recipients, agree to the terms and conditions set by AiF and Stella Adler LA. Scholarship awarding is subject to change. Entry is are open to Australian citizens and/or a permanent resident of Australia and is subject to the terms of clause 3 below of these Terms and Conditions.
1a. Eligible individuals must complete the application form supplied by AiF and Stella Adler LA by 5:00PM PDT on 12/30/2014.
1b. Eligible individuals must be current members of Australians in Film Los Angeles to enter https://www.http://australiansinfilm.org/application.
2. These Terms and Conditions together with all other information provided prior to applying for a merit Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 at Stella Adler LA, including the Application entry form, form part of the rules of entering to win a Scholarship. Instructions on how to apply for the Scholarship form part of these Terms and Conditions. Applying for the Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Offer not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
3. (a) Applicant must be an Australian citizen and/or a permanent resident of Australia and must be over 18 years of age at the time of application. (b) Applicant must have current passport and take responsibility for obtaining any US Visa that may be required. (c) Employees (and their immediate families) of AiF and Stella Adler LA, participating retailers and agencies associated with these Scholarships are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or 1st cousin.
4. AiF and Stella Adler LA reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process. Errors and omissions will be accepted at AiF and Stella Adler LA's discretion. Failure by AiF and Stella Adler LA to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights. Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid.
5. Multiple entries are not permitted.
6. Applications commences on 5:00PM PST on 12/16/2014 and closes 5:00PM PST on 12/30/2014 (the “Application Period”). Final applications must be received by 5:00PM PST on 12/30/2014.
7. At the conclusion of the Application Period (a) 2 (two) applicants will be selected as a winner of the merit Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 by the AiF and Stella Adler LA (each a “Winner”). (b) 3 (three) applicants will be selected as a winner of the partial merit Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 by AiF and Stella Adler LA. (c) Chance plays no part in the determination of the Winners. Applications are based on merit and strength of applications received. Applications are evaluated by representatives from Stella Adler LA, in consultation with AiF. (d) The Winners shall be notified immediately in writing with each Winner to be awarded a Scholarship as defined below in clause 8. The panel’s decision is final and binding upon all entrants and no correspondence will be entered into.
8. (a) The 2 (two) Scholarship Winners shall be entitled to receive the following: A Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 at Stella Adler Academy of Acting and Theatre Los Angeles in semester 1 (one). Adler Technique 1 runs for 8 (eight) weeks and requires a minimum of 72 hours of class time. Class is scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5:30PM to 8:30PM from Monday January 5, 2015 to February 20, 2015. (b) The 3 (three) partial Scholarship Winners shall be entitled to receive the following: A partial Scholarship to study Adler Technique 1 at Stella Adler Academy of Acting and Theatre Los Angeles in semester 1 (one). Winners agree to pay a the discounted admission fee of USD $200 (Two Hundred US Dollars) to Stella Adler LA to attend Adler Technique 1. Adler Technique 1 runs for 8 (eight) weeks and requires a minimum of 72 hours of class time. Class is scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5:30PM to 8:30PM from Monday January 5, 2015 to February 20, 2015.
9. (a) Each full merit Scholarship is valued at USD $950 (Nine Hundred and Fifty US Dollars). (b) Each partial merit Scholarship is valued at USA $750 (Seven Hundred and Fifty US Dollars). Scholarships not claimed by the Winner prior to 5:00PM PST on 01/02/2014 will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Scholarships are not transferable or redeemable for cash. AiF and Stella Adler LA takes no responsibility for any variation in the prize value between the date of publication and the date the prize is taken. (c) Total Scholarship pool value is USD$4,150 (Four Thousand and One Hundred and Fifty US dollars).
10. If the Scholarship is unavailable, AiF and Stella Adler LA, in their discretion, reserves the right to substitute the Scholarship for enrollment in another semester of equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
11. The Scholarship, or any unused portion of the Scholarship, is not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed as cash.
12. If this Scholarship is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of AiF and Stella Adler LA, AiF reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law: (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority, to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Scholarship, as appropriate.
13. Any cost associated with accessing a Website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used. The use of any automated software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows an entrant to automatically enter repeatedly is prohibited and will render all entries submitted by that entrant invalid.
14. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, AiF and Stella Adler LA (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of applying for the Scholarship or enrollment in Stella Adler LA, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under AiF's control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or offer that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by AiF) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of AiF including by way of malfunction of email program or servers; (d) any variation in Scholarship value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by an entrant; (f) use of a Scholarship, including use resulting in any personal injury; or (g) all travel to and from locations associated with the Scholarship.
15. AiF collects personal information in order to conduct the Call for Applications and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties, including but not limited to agents, contractors, service providers, offer suppliers and as required to American regulatory authorities. Entry is conditional on providing this information. AiF may, for an indefinite period, unless otherwise advised, use the information for promotional, marketing, publicity, research and profiling purposes, including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to AiF via the email address email@example.com. All entries including any literary or other intellectual property rights embodied therein become the sole property of AiF upon submission to the Scholarship.
16. All content contained herein is subject to change without notice. AiF reserves the right to change or modify the terms and conditions at any time and without notice. Any such amendment shall be effective once the revised terms and conditions have been posted on the Site, and it shall be your responsibility to check these terms and conditions for any such amendments. We have made reasonable efforts to ensure that all information on the Site is accurate at the time of inclusion, however, there may be errors in such information for which we apologize but shall have no liability.
17. Australians in Film is at 23975 Park Sorrento, Suite 365 Calabasas, CA 91302 Phone: 310 452 5939 Fax: 323 446 8724